Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Isn't it funny...

So...it has been a while since I have even figured out how to log on to this. I just think that it is amazing how I am sitting here working on a lesson for a youth camp that I am about to speak at, and I find myself studying harder than I normally do. I want to make sure that I do a good job. I find myself doubting, wondering...am I trying this hard for me or for God? Am I really trying this hard because I don't want to get up there and make a fool out of myself, or am I trying this hard because I really am zealous and want to share what God has done for me and what he can do for you as well.

Every morning I get to work just a little early for me to be able to read a chapter out of the Bible and say a prayer before I go in for the day. I try my best not to say the same prayer over and over again, but it consists of many of the same things. I work in a hospital and I find myself asking for the strength and the courage to be able to handle the things for the day. Also that the patients will be able to heal and that if it is there time to die, that they go without pain. Sometimes, my prayers are answered, and other times, they are not. I have found though that since I have started this habit, that I am having better days at work. I do not spend the day being stressed out at work. I find that I am able to take all things that come my way in stride and that I am able to do those things that I once dreaded. This morning, I opened up the Bible to my designated chapter of 2 Peter 2.

This Friday I will be speaking on "God's name is Fair and Just." It makes me laugh because I have been struggling coming up with things for me to talk about and examples for the lesson. I have said some prayers. Then I open the Bible today, and almost exactly what I was trying to express with my lesson. I want to share it with you.

1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping. 4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness[b] to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment.

This really hit home with me when I was pondering on what the thought of God's name being Fair and Just. There is no better way to put it than the way Peter said it. It is an understatement to say that God loves us. At the same time, God has a vengeful wrath! It is amazing to me that I have been stressing about this lesson and I open my Bible and here is what I have been needing. God is an awesome God!

As I sit here thinking about the wrath of God, it scares me. It scares me to know that I have not done enough to bring others to Christ like I am supposed to. It scares me to know that there are others out there that need to hear the word of God. It scares me to know that God would throw angels in to Hell. It scares me to know that this fate awaits me if I am not prepared and ready to give an answer on the judgement day.

So, I asked the question at the beginning of this post if I was studying this hard for myself or for God. At the beginning, I am sad to say that I was studying for myself, but as I continued to read and I continue to study more, it is for God. I realized how great He is again! I realized how wonderful and powerful He is! He has given me everything in my life that is wonderful! I have an amazing wife, a loving family, a wonderful job, and a roof over my head. He even gave His son for me on the cross so that I might be able to escape my deserving fate. No one deserves to go to Heaven. We are all sinners, but God loves us so much that we have that chance. Look around you and see what all he has done for you. Marvel at the world. The great design! If he can make this world this beautiful, I can only wait with anticipation and say, "Lord, come quickly!" If you haven't been to church in a while, give it another chance. Open the Bible, read and pray. It is amazing what God will show you. If you haven't been baptized...why not? It is commanded of us. If you need forgiveness...just ask! I can't wait to see the streets of gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment